CASTLE STREET

AREA SOCIETY

HOME

NEWS

G A L L E R Y

PROJECTS

MEMBERSHIP

For Latest News and Updates

Find out more about the Castle Street Area Society, Members adverts and your views

See Images of Past and Present as well as reading into our History and Listed Buildings

We are not just here to celebrate our past but to contribute to the Areas future

JOIN us, Be involved and make a difference to the area wherever you are from

CONTACT US       Adeline Reidy,    1 Castle Street, Dover   TEL. 01304 211591 EMAIL. adelinereidy@btconnect.com

 

                           David Hannent, 16 Castle Street, Dover  TEL.01304 240000  EMAIL. david@pmcs.net

Hanging_basket Castle_Street_in_Bloom__TN Castle_St_Pharos_Tea_House__TN societyneedsyou WeThePeople

 

CSASLOGO

castle street society dover history st james council development heritage harbour

castle street society dover history st james council development heritage harbour

castle street society dover history st james council development heritage harbour

castle street society dover history st james council development heritage harbour

castle street dover kent

castle street dover kent

castle street dover kent

Dover Castle news future st james development dover kent

Dover Castle news future st james development dover kent

Dover Castle news future st james development dover kent

Dover Castle news future st james development dover kent

Dover Castle news future st james development dover kent

Dover Castle news future st james development dover kent

Old St James Church

Dover's Tidy Ruin" - Old St James' Church - stands at the end of St James' Street, at the foot of Castle Hill.

 

Built c.1070

Restored 1868/69

Badly damaged in WW1

Restored 1931

Badly damaged in WW2

Tower collapsed c.1950                    

 

The earliest mention of the Church of St. James can be found in the Domesday Monachorum and White Book of St. Augustine, compiled during the time of Archbishop Lanfranc (c.1070-1089AD), which names it as one of the four churches subordinate to St Martin le Grand. The others were: St Peter (Market Square); and St Nicholas and St John the Baptist, both of which were in the church of St Martin le Grand.

 

A Visitation of the Diocese of Canterbury by the Bishop Suffragan of Dover, Richard Rogers, on 29th September 1573, found the church to be somewhat lacking.

image007 image006 image001 Back to History