CASTLE STREET

AREA SOCIETY

HOME

NEWS

G A L L E R Y

PROJECTS

MEMBERSHIP

For Latest News and Updates

Find out more about the Castle Street Area Society, Members adverts and your views

See Images of Past and Present as well as reading into our History and Listed Buildings

We are not just here to celebrate our past but to contribute to the Areas future

JOIN us, Be involved and make a difference to the area wherever you are from

CONTACT US       Adeline Reidy,    1 Castle Street, Dover   TEL. 01304 211591 EMAIL. adelinereidy@btconnect.com

 

                           David Hannent, 16 Castle Street, Dover  TEL.01304 240000  EMAIL. david@pmcs.net

Hanging_basket Castle_Street_in_Bloom__TN Castle_St_Pharos_Tea_House__TN societyneedsyou WeThePeople

 

CSASLOGO

castle street society dover history st james council development heritage harbour

castle street society dover history st james council development heritage harbour

castle street society dover history st james council development heritage harbour

castle street society dover history st james council development heritage harbour

castle street dover kent

castle street dover kent

castle street dover kent

Dover Castle news future st james development dover kent

Dover Castle news future st james development dover kent

Dover Castle news future st james development dover kent

Dover Castle news future st james development dover kent

Dover Castle news future st james development dover kent

Dover Castle news future st james development dover kent

Woolcomber Street

This little street was built on land, which had gradually been formed since 1500 when an old harbour situated here had became useless.  Before houses were built the lower part of the street was occupied by Saltpans where the sea water was evaporated by different processes and salt made.  Long after these works had been done away with the spot was called “Salt's” or “Saltpans.”  In the days when a great deal of smuggling was done in Dover there was a portion of this where smugglers hoards were put and ingeniously covered with piles of sand and rubbish, the sand being brought on the back of donkeys who had to cross a little bridge which spanned a small stream flowing towards the river.  Opposite the smuggler’s hiding place on the ground now occupied by Bussey’s coal store the Quakers had a burying place till 1830. The rest of the street consisted chiefly of premises for wool-combing belonging to wool merchants in the town.  When the industry was no longer carried on in Dover and houses were built the name Woolcomber was given to the street.

Back to History woolcomberstreet1894